Monday, April 1, 2013

Book Report





I am on page 100 of The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem.  Have you read it?  So far, I'm digging it.

The time change really threw a wrench into my reading schedule and it's taken me a month to get through 100 pages.  Can you say, pathetic?   I do think I'm finally becoming used to this whole daylight savings thing and might actually get some real reading done.  Maybe.

I'm looking forward to it because this book seems worth a few lost zzz's.

Here's the description: "The Fortress of Solitude is the story of Dylan Ebdus growing up white and motherless in downtown Brooklyn in the 1970s. It’s a neighborhood where the entertainments include muggings along with games of stoopball. In that world, Dylan has one friend, a black teenager, also motherless, named Mingus Rude. As Lethem follows the knitting and unraveling of their friendship, he creates an overwhelmingly rich and emotionally gripping canvas of race and class, superheros, gentrification, funk, hip-hop, graffiti tagging, loyalty, and memory. The Fortress of Solitude is the first great urban coming of age novel to appear in years."




I read Motherless Brooklyn a few years ago, also by Jonathan Lethem, and loved it.  That one is essentially a murder mystery.  Having actually finished that one, I certainly recommend it.  I found it fun and pretty hilarious.  It's a lot more fast paced than The Fortress of Solitude from what I've read so far.

What are you reading?


Book description via Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment