Monday, May 20, 2013

How To Worry Less About Money



I've mentioned the Brain Pickings digest once before on this here blog. I hope you've found the time to check it out.  This Sunday's newsletter featured thought provoking topics such as "How to Worry Less About Money" as well as Neil Gaiman's advice on courage and the creative life and why going back to school may be a bad idea.  Sounds good, no?  I was particularly taken with the excerpts from the book "How to Worry Less About Money" by John Armstrong as part of The School of Life series.  I have been eyeing that series prior to this because, well, I like the idea of having a School of Life.  Who couldn't use some of that?  And in book form no less?  I was also thinking of them as possible graduation gifts too.  But this title in particular is a lesson I think I can benefit from. I have a complicated relationship with money.  I may not have vast amounts of it, but I have a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food to eat.  Still it is something that I worry about.  And probably more than I should.  Part of it is just being an adult.  We have children and pets to care for. My husband has his own business and I am in charge of handling our finances and that makes me hyper aware of everything that is coming in and going out.  I think that has had a negative effect on how I view money.  I'm a little too aware, if that makes any sense.  Sometimes I need to just let go. This existed in some form even before I became such a grown ass woman.  I've always kinda struggled with over thinking purchases and buyer's remorse.  In fact, did you notice that in my previous post about Heath Ceramics?  I couldn't pull the trigger and buy something because there were so many lovely options and in my head spending $100+ on ceramics was being weighed against everything else.  My kid needed a nap and I needed to over analyze everything that I wanted to purchase and come back later.  So I left empty handed.  Is this healthy?  I'm thinking no.  And I'm wondering how much of this is inherited from what I saw growing up versus what I live with today and how much of it am I going to teach my kids?  This is pretty important stuff.  Stuff that every adult, I think, will face and yet we don't really talk about it.  So this book is going in my Amazon shopping cart.  But I may to have to think about it for a couple days before I actually click 'purchase'.



p.s. I'm kidding about the Amazon thing.  I'm not that bad.  I don't want you getting the idea that I'm that cray-cray.  I'm just mildly cray. 

p.s.s. Any opinions on these as graduation gifts?  Good idea or no?




No comments:

Post a Comment