Thursday, October 10, 2013

Book Report

I'm overdue for a Book Report around these parts.  Truth be told this hasn't been my best year for reading.  I'm busy, I'm tired, you know all the usual excuses.  My favorite book I've read this year (so far) is Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief.  You may remember I first mentioned this book in my wish list here.  Well, wishes do come true and this book, ladies and gents, is a  winner.  I loved it.  I suggest you dig in, pronto.  I know you've probably heard some crazy stories about Scientology, I certainly had, but it's so much crazier than I thought.  I mean, we are talking serious cray cray.  Maximum Cray.  For. real.  I found it so interesting to learn about L. Ron Hubbard, his life, how it all started, how it evolved and where it is today.  I had no idea and I can't believe more of this isn't out there.  My favorite part was the early days of L. Ron Hubbard in Los Angeles in the 50's and his involvement with the science fiction community and certain cult figures. If you know me, you know I'm a sucker for L.A. history from the 50's, 60's and 70's.  But the whole thing is downright fascinating.  My jaw was on the floor the entire time.  And yes, the Hollywood, Tom Cruise  stuff is pretty darn interesting.



So read away and let me know what you think.  Bonus points if you watch The Master afterwards and try and search out the Scientology parallels and influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment