Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Wardrobe Update

Do you remember when I wrote here about the 10 piece wardrobe?   I thought I would give you an update on that post and my intentions of whittling down my closet to the bare minimum of essentials, you know, only the things I adore and nothing more.





Well, this (shoddy) photo of my closet says it all, don't you think?  That's right. Epic Fail.

Now, I do share this closet with my husband so not everything you see here is mine, but a good 85% of it is and it's kinda ridiculous.  Since my last post, I did clean out my closet and I was pretty brutal with what I gave the heave-ho.  Honest.  But I still didn't get anywhere near 10 pieces.  I did try to baby step a little and put all my favorite shirts in a single drawer and all summer made an effort to wear only those shirts.  You know, the essentials. But I still haven't ditched the ones that didn't make the cut.  Sigh.  Part of the problem is that I don't have a lot of stuff I adore.  Years spent shopping at the bargain stores has left me with a lot of quantity and not quality.  It's the quality stuff that makes the 10 cut easy.  The rest of the stuff that I'm just sort of 'meh' is what makes up most of what you see here.  You know the stuff that I don't hate and it's fine for the school runs so I just keep hanging on to it.  But it's just too much stuff.  Oh and I've had to confront something about my personality that I've never really addressed before. While doing all of this, I start thinking "oh but if I only have 5 shirts, then people are going to talk about how I always wear the same thing.  What will people think of me?" For shame.  I mean really?  Who is going to say this? Who is really even paying attention?  And most importantly, why do I care?  I think it might be time to get radical here friends.  Ditch it all.  I mean, it's just clothes.  What am I afraid of?  Nothing bad will happen if I just let go.  So alright, who's with me?  Anyone??

No comments:

Post a Comment